Thursday, July 10, 2008

"You're so Vain"


"You're So Vain" by Carly Simon came on the radio. I was drawing. Impulsively I dropped my project and drew a super quick sketch of the song. I tried to capture song's seething contempt. It turned out okay, but maybe a bit derivative of other artists I admire.
"You're So Vain" is an unusual song. A lot of songs are about how wonderful someone is. Others criticize, but nearly always it's about being rejected by the guy ( or gal). I can only think of a few songs that bluntly call someone a jerk. "You're So Vain" is one of them.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You pick the best/sappiest songs to draw this way! Fun! There was an Eagles song....Already Gone?

Sally said...

really interesting observation. You probably know the song was written about James Taylor?

Black Cat said...

That's a great illustration! But Sally, I thought the song was about Mick Jagger! :) xxx

Namowal (Jennifer Bourne) said...

stray g,
I remember a bit of "Already Gone," Was it another "so and so is a jerk" song?
sally,
I guess that would make sense since they dated for awhile. I wonder if he figured it out?
Welcome back, black cat,
Lyrics like "I bet you think this song is about you," probably had all her ex boyfriends wondering gee, that couldnt't be me that she's singing about...!?

Linda Davick said...

Does Carly Simon remind anyone of Cheryl Crow?

Anonymous said...

The two songs are a bit different, but I think it's a good riddance kind of song. Linda, there is a similarity, now that you mention it.
I did cartoons about dating for a while, and one guy thinks one is about him, but it's really about someone else. I guess that's the beauty of "art." It can hit a universal nerve!

Sally said...

Linda, funny, when I first read your comment I thought it was "Does Carly Simon remind anyone of a Chow Chow"?