Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Beware of Walrus


When I was a kid, we'd visit Sea World each fall.
They had a campy sea lion act. The shtick went like this:
Near the end of the show, a walrus slid on stage. He'd swim a lap, perch on the edge of the tank...
... and spit a stream of water at the audience.
They'd been warned earlier that they "might get wet." It wasn't specified exactly how it'd happen.
My dad got a kick out of it.
One time we were walking near the show. It was almost walrus time.
"Hey," my dad said, "Lets stand off to the side and watch the walrus spit on someone!"
We did.
For a Dad's Eye View of what happened next, see below:

9 comments:

Linda Davick said...

Funnny!!! Fun illustrations, too. I like the bottom illustrations a lot in both this post and the last post.

Namowal (Jennifer Bourne) said...

Hey thanks, Linda.
I like the bottom ones best too, but I'm not sure why. Maybe they have more personality.

walterworld said...

Another funny story!

---Looks like the walrus got your Dad spot on...

Anonymous said...

Yes, the big splash illustration is great fun!

Namowal (Jennifer Bourne) said...

Hi walterworld.
Usually the walrus would spray the audience down the middle. My dad thought he'd be safe off to the side.
Whoops!
Thanks, stray g.
I wonder of Sea World still does the walrus routine. I can see it leading to some silly lawsuits.

Sally said...

hey my comment never showed. loved the post, never saw a walrus at sea world though.

Namowal (Jennifer Bourne) said...

Sally,
I've had my comments vanish a few times too. Odd.
Sea World has (or had- it's been a long time) the walrus in the show, plus some on exhibit. It was cool because you could see them both underwater and above. For fifty cents you could by a tray of squids to feed them. A smart one learned to get more squid by waving his flipper.

BillGoat said...

LOve it - super funny!
You know, I think they work really well as a double panel illustration - it's sequentially funny. I think Sea World is now all about Shamu, but I do think that they have a walrus... I think.

Namowal (Jennifer Bourne) said...

Aw, thanks, Bilsey.
So Shamu may have gotten the walruses evicted? Say it isn't so! Walruses are the comic relief of the marine mammal set.