It was recorded in the early thirties.
To my horror, I did some research and found that one of the main singers had a terrible fate.
- He was a popular entertainer in Germany in the 20s and 30s*
- He was offered work in Hollywood but chose to stay home
- He fled to the Netherlands to escape the Nazis, who soon snatched him there
- At the concentration camp, the Nazis forced him to direct a shameless propaganda film about what a swell place it was. Cooperate or you and your family will be killed, the told him.
- When the film wrapped, they sent him and his family to the gas chamber anyway
Whoa! I told myself. That's ghastly! Cruel! Unfair!
And to think you get unglued when you're stuck in traffic the computer freezes. Put things in perspective!
You're not in a death camp,aboard a slave ship, inside a burning building or under a bomb! Remember that, you self-absorbed jerk!
This should have been a profound moment, yet...
Luck is wasted on the lucky.
*I've kept his name and picture off the blog so I don't tarnish his image/memory with cartoons of me whining about the phone not working.