I almost didn't post this due to the yeech factor, but this story is so bizarre, so ridiculous so freaking weird that I couldn't resist. It's true, too.
- Key West resident Carl Tanzler had a wife in Europe, but he was more interested in a young lady named Elena. He knew they'd end up together. Some day.
- There was a problem. Elena had died two years earlier.
- Always the "out of the box" thinker, Carl snuck into the cemetery, opened her mausoleum, and took her home.
- He cleaned her up. He covered her skin with silk dipped in Plaster of Paris and wax to maintain a healthy glow. Glass eyes, a wig, a nice dress and jewelery completed the makeover.
- Disinfectants and perfumes kept his home smelling Springtime Fresh.
- He kept her in his bed and slept next to her...
- ...for almost seven years!
- Then, (rather stupidly) he showed off his handiwork to her sister. She called the police. Carl went to jail.
- Instead of being freaked out, many folks felt sorry for him. They saw him as an eccentric romantic kook. People sent fan mail!
- Elena was on display at a local funeral home. Thousands (children included) swung by to check her out. Later she was was buried in an unmarked grave.
- The statute of limitations for grave robbing had expired, and Carl was freed.
- He died 12 years later. An Elena-like doll was found near his body.
Here's the Wikipedia link (including pics of Carl, Elena and her mummy) if you want to know more. Don't want to know more? I can't say I blame you.