Sunday, February 21, 2010

Arcade Building: 540 S. Broadway

This beauty, also known as the Mercantile Arcade (original name), Broadway Arcade and Spring Street Arcade, dates back to the early 1920s. Who knew they had malls back then? Okay, so the upper floors were mostly office buildings, and the ground floor shops sported a lot of "practical" shops where you'd pick up stamps and office supplies. Still, it's lovely, and even beter, it's still here!
Visit this cool site for more details about the Arcade Building (and similar arcades).

4 comments:

Linda Davick said...

A mall in the 20's! The very idea is dumbfounding. I can see the kids hanging out here after school buying stamps and office supplies.

It reminds me a little of our Ferry Building, and if you squint, the Marin Civic Center.

stray said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
stray said...

Nashville has an old
arcade. Wikipedia says it was built in 1902 and modeled after one in Italy.

Namowal (Jennifer Bourne) said...

Hi Linda,
I thought about 1920s mall rats too. I'm sure a few were shooed out over the years.
I'm curious about the Ferry Building now- was it designed at the same time?
Hi Stray,
I heard about the Nashville arcade when I researched the Los Angeles one, but this is the first time I saw a picture. It's lovely. Funny how these old malls seem so similar and so different from their modern counterparts.