Friday, July 24, 2009

Idiot's Delight Tuna Salad


My improvised recipes are usually bad news, but this week I hit the jackpot.

1 single serving pack of chunk light tuna (about 2.6 oz)
lemon juice (I use the plastic lemon)
Louisiana style hot sauce
Mayonnaise

Drain tuna (if it's from a can) or pat dry (if it's from an envelope) and dump it in a mixing bowl. Add several squirts of lemon juice and blend it in thoroughly with a fork. Repeat, if necessary, until fishy scent is neutralized. Add Louisiana hot sauce to taste (depending on how spicy you like things). Add mayonnaise to taste (I use a twelve gram packet of of it).
That's it. It's now ready for your sandwich or crackers.

I discovered this by accident. I'd been making lazy tuna salad (albacore + mayo + relish) for lunch. Then I cheaped it out and bought the "premium chunk light" stuff...
...and found out why it cost less. It looked and smelled like cat food! I tried doctoring it with many a condiment (lemon pepper, chopped olives, even Caesar salad dressing), only to get cat food with a hint of lemon pepper, chopped olives, or Caesar salad. I wasn't expecting much with my lemon and Lousiana hot sauce, but it worked great. I felt like an alchemist. I'd turned cat food into gold.

6 comments:

Linda Davick said...

You are cracking me up! We are 2 of a kind when it comes to cooking.

Namowal (Jennifer Bourne) said...

Thanks, Linda.

Sally said...

I had two friends long ago who had a long standing competition on tuna salad combos. I remember apples were considered choice. I like capers and celery. I'm going to send you a can of Bumblebee Thai tuna which you can get here but not in the valley. It's very tasty.

Namowal (Jennifer Bourne) said...

Hi Sally,
Capers sounds like a good idea. Celery would add some texture too. I'll have to try that.

A high school classmate used to eat tuna and jelly sandwiches. I thought she was nuts, but she explained it had a "turkey and cranberry" factor. Someday I'll try that... ...but not any time soon.

Thai tuna? That does sound tasty.

Sally said...

on it way to you.

Namowal (Jennifer Bourne) said...

Oh boy oh boy! Thanks!