Saturday, March 14, 2009

How Do You Sleep?


I heard John Lennon's How do you sleep? on the radio and threw this sketch together.
It was written after the Beatles broke up. The song oozes with contempt for Paul McCartney.*
  • Those freaks was right when they said you was dead
  • The only thing you done was yesterday/And since you've gone you're just another day**
  • A pretty face may last a year or two/But pretty soon they'll see what you can do
  • The sound you make is Muzak to my ears

Don't get John Lennon mad at you.
As I said elsewhere, I kinda like this song. His "nicer" songs like Imagine sound preachy too me. I like Lennon best when his work has a hostile, wacko bite, like I am the Walrus or Glass Onion.

*According to Songfacts:
  • To be fair, McCartney had taken some shots at John in the album Ram
  • Later John claimed a lot of the contempt in the song was actually aimed at himself.
**Another Day was McCartney's first post-Beatles hit. It's Muzak to my ears too.

2 comments:

Linda Davick said...

I love the Beatles so I had to go to Songfacts. I couldn't really tell if there was a big fight or not! Well, it's probably public knowledge...(I've never read any of the biographies.)

Namowal (Jennifer Bourne) said...

Hi Linda,
I love the Beatles too.
As far as I can tell, John and Paul were hopping mad at each other around the time of the breakup but the grudge didn't last.