Her strength hand coordination were fine, but her thinking and speech were a disaster. She'd think she was talking to us when in fact she was babbling nonsense. When we told her we didn't understand she got incensed and repeated the same nonsense more slowly.
Namowal's Mom: Freshious, freshious, freshious, in the freshious freshious?
Namowal: I'm sorry, I don't understand
Namowal's Mom: Freshious, freshious, freshious, in the freshious freshious!?
Namowal: Can you show me what you mean?
Namowal's Mom: (glaring at me and gesturing angrily) Freshious, freshious, freshious, in the freshious freshious!!?
War was declared when more words came back. We'd thought her anger was frustration at not being able to talk. As she regained more speech, we found that she viewed me and my dad as the problem. We'd committed some heinous deeds including:
- taking a paper towel away from her (she was eating it)
- not letting her take some cold medicine (she didn't have a cold)
- wiping cream of mushroom soup off her hand after she plunged her fist into the bowl
- taking away the jar of pistachios because she was eating them with the shells and wouldn't let us unshell them for her
- generally keeping an eye one her so she wouldn't burn down the house
- She wanted me to leave her house and never come back
- She wanted to spank me for being so horrid
- My dad and I were "rude" and made her "mad"
- This was all our fault
- I was a terrible daughter and he was a terrible husband
- We were both "stupid"
- We could go fuck ourselves
D-day of the war occurred this morning. She was in the middle of a temper tantrum and we had to get her to her physical thereby appointment. She wouldn't budge and told us to scram. We insisted. I took her by the hand. She started hitting me.
My dad lost his temper.
"You knock that crap off and get in the car, now!" he told her.
She eyed him as if he'd slapped her- a mix of fear and disbelief that he'd dare raise his voice to her.
It worked. She cooperated, sort of, grumbling insults under her breath and giving us dirty looks as we took her to her appointment.