Saturday, October 17, 2009

Dumb Dream at 5003 Feet.


Terrifying dreams are called nightmares.
Annoying dreams should be called night jackasses.
Those happen all the time. They're stale, inconsistent, confusing, rambling. They tumble on like a bad joke with no punchline. The car won't steer. The phone won't dial. Teeth crumble. Details change. Things seem off. Yet you rarely think, Gee, this makes no sense. I bet it's a dream!
For example:
A little boy was stuck in a runaway hot air balloon. How would they get him down? Would he freeze? Crash? Then it wasn't a hot air balloon but a flying mushroom. But now it was crooked and scraping the ground. How could a kid fit in there? Except he wasn't in there. He'd vanished. Then he hadn't vanished!
He was everywhere!
Each time I turned the T.V. or radio, there was the kid who was supposed to be in the balloon but wasn't, and his creepy family. Except now they were the family from a television show. Huh?
Inexplicably, the they wouldn't go away! Television, radio and the internet were infested. Mumbling and puking sounds were prominent. Dad mentioned lizard people. What nonsense was this!?
I think I understand why I don't notice that I'm dreaming.

2 comments:

Linda Davick said...

Ha--I understand.
I did think it was a little odd that they were a TV show family.

Namowal (Jennifer Bourne) said...

The more I hear about Balloon Boy's dad, the more I wish there was a trap door under him, or a vaudeville hook to his left. Will someone keep this nut away from cameras and microphones?