Friday, April 20, 2007

The Second Coolest Cartoon Ever

Overtime at work has kept me away from the drawing board, so, like last week, I'll substitute my content with a cartoon made by folks more talented than I.



It's Minnie the Moocher, a Fleischer Studios Talkartoon . Like it's sister cartoon, Snow White, Betty Boop and her dog friend Bimbo find themselves in a surreal cave. A ghost sings a Cab Calloway song (you can probably guess which one).
I love how they've combined cuteness (Betty, Bimbo, the ghosts) with the tawdry and the morbid. Combine the lyrics of the song with the animation and you have a mix of death, drinking, heroin, skelletons, and electric chair executions.
As with Snow White, this cartoon can be watched many times, as the creators have thrown in a lot of gags and details that a lesser studio might have skipped.

No comments: